Re: how many CDs for v3.1 r3?

Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> On 19.11.06 16:00, Michelle Konzack wrote:
>
>> better: /var;     ext3; 1 GB
>>         /var/log; ext3; 500 MB
>>

> I don't see any reason to have them separate.

Because if some process starts spewing log entries left-and-right, only
your /usr/log partition fills up rather than your entire /usr partition.

You can also make your /usr partition read-only this way, which can
function as another step in security/safety-hardening a system.

>>> /tmp; ext3; 1 GB
>>>
>>     Definitivly to small
>>

> I mount /tmp on tmpfs (size-limited) and I think it's better to add this
> space to swap, and use /tmp on tmpfs limited to 1 GB.
>
> However I haven't seen /tmp used that much for long time. Maybe in some
> cases...

Seems like if I download an .iso using Firefox to my home dir, it
temporarily stores it in /tmp, meaning I have to have enough free space
in /tmp to get the full .iso.

--
Kent

--