Re: echo/sed combination inserts extra characters

Thanks all for the responses to my question.  I will try the suggestions,
specially the one about the date command.  I am still somewhat concerned
about the introduction of extraneous characters.  I would like to know if
indeed sed (at least the version I am using) is responsible for the extra
characters.