Re: how many CDs for v3.1 r3?

On 19.11.06 16:00, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Am 2006-11-13 15:04:08, schrieb Samuel Bächler:
>
> > directory; filesystem; size
> > root; ext3; 100 MB
>               ^^^^^^
>     This was suffisant under Woody, but not more under Sarge
>     You need at least 500 MByte since the kernel put its
>     modules there and if you install a second kernel, you
>     will get the HELL with 100 MByte.

I do not separate / from /usr, in many cases even from /boot

> > /home; ext3; 10 GB
> TOOOOOOO small!
>
> > swap; SWAP; 1 GB // for swap rule of thumb is twice your ram (2*256)
>
> My Workststion has vever used more then 200 MByte Swap
> over the last 7 years and I use my Machines heavyly!
>
> Adding such big SWAP will slowdown the computer significant.

no, it won't. using swap will slow it down, but only if you don't have
enough of memory

> > /var; ext3; 1 GB
>
> better: /var;     ext3; 1 GB
>         /var/log; ext3; 500 MB

I don't see any reason to have them separate.

> > /tmp; ext3; 1 GB
>     Definitivly to small

I mount /tmp on tmpfs (size-limited) and I think it's better to add this
space to swap, and use /tmp on tmpfs limited to 1 GB.

However I haven't seen /tmp used that much for long time. Maybe in some
cases...

REALITY.SYS corrupted. Press any key to reboot Universe.