spam filter easy install

Can anybody point me to a reliable way to install basic spam filtering on a
fresh etch install?

I have again tried spamassassin, using the notes at
http://www.spencerstirling.com/computergeek/email.html to help with the
installation, but have had to purge spamassassin and clamav and all related
packages as all mail became blocked and the error messages in exim4/paniclog
were more than I could deal with.  (I did google for help on the specific
error messages, but only managed to substitute different errors... I also
tried switching off the virus filtering but still got nowhere.) I have also
tried http://trekweb.com/~jasonb/articles/exim4_courier/index.html
and http://marc.merlins.org/linux/exim/sa.html and others in the past, but
never done better than prevent all incoming mail or slow the server to a
crawl.  Somebody must have found a way to do this.

So, I have a huge quantity of spam coming in, and can see no way to stem the
tide.  Is there a guaranteed method to get this or any other spam filter to
run without needing to spend days learning the intricacies of the email
system and fine-tuning innumerable config files? I have exim4, courier imap
(and I access them via mutt, other users use squirrelmail). I really am
tired of deleting hundreds of "best for your health" etc, so any help would be
gratefully received.

--

richard