Re: spam filter easy install

On 19 Nov 2006, Richard Lyons wrote:
> Can anybody point me to a reliable way to install basic spam filtering on a
> fresh etch install?
>
> I have again tried spamassassin, using the notes at
> http://www.spencerstirling.com/computergeek/email.html to help with the
> installation, but have had to purge spamassassin and clamav and all related
> packages as all mail became blocked and the error messages in exim4/paniclog
> were more than I could deal with.  (I did google for help on the specific
> error messages, but only managed to substitute different errors... I also
> tried switching off the virus filtering but still got nowhere.) I have also
> tried http://trekweb.com/~jasonb/articles/exim4_courier/index.html
> and http://marc.merlins.org/linux/exim/sa.html and others in the past, but
> never done better than prevent all incoming mail or slow the server to a
> crawl.  Somebody must have found a way to do this.
>
> So, I have a huge quantity of spam coming in, and can see no way to stem the
> tide.  Is there a guaranteed method to get this or any other spam filter to
> run without needing to spend days learning the intricacies of the email
> system and fine-tuning innumerable config files? I have exim4, courier imap
> (and I access them via mutt, other users use squirrelmail). I really am
> tired of deleting hundreds of "best for your health" etc, so any help would be
> gratefully received.

I like spamprobe better than spamassassin. There is a deb package but
I've always compiled and installed my own in /usr/local. It has a
mailing list where the author answers questions helpfully.

See spamprobe.sourceforge.net.

Anthony
--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian