Re: how many CDs for v3.1 r3?

anonymous wrote:
I still have not received a definitive reply to my question as yet.
Which, to repeat was:

" I found out that I would need to download 18 CDs: 15 regular and 3
for the update.
I would like to know whether all these CDs have binary files or are
these also include CDs with sources and documentation. If so, which ones of them?"

In fact, I have received conflicting statements to answer this query.
Just compare the two statements below.

<As far as I know they include documentation and source code - thats in
fact one key-feature of free-software.> Samuel Bächler

AND

<Just Binary Files. Documentation..as in relevant man-pages would be
provided.>Amit Joshi

I believe Amit was referring to the first two CDs, as just a bit above that quote he says:
... the first CD should suffice. It has got KDE + GNOME and all the required utilities to get your system up and running. You may download the CD2 just in case.

Others have also indicated that you probably only need the first one or two CDs for a typical workstation. To see what's on each CD, see http://atterer.net/jigdo/jigdo-search.php?list

Having used Redhat and Slackware before which just use 4 CDs each for
the boot and packages and a couple more for the documentation and sources, it is
difficult for me to take 15 CDs for the installation of packages alone.

Generally the source CDs are labeled "source", and the package CDs are labeled "binary".

IF this *is* really the case, there should be some good reason for
this: Does debian offer a lot of packages choices?
20,000+, last I heard; I'm unsure how many other distros offer.

--
Kent West
http://kentwest.blogspot.com <http://kentwest.blogspot.com/>