Re: how many CDs for v3.1 r3?

On Monday 13 November 2006 18:34, anonymous wrote:
> I was planning to download and test install Debian for the first time.
> However, when I browsed the website below:
>
> http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/3.1_r3/i386/iso-cd/
>
> for a download, I found out that I would need to download 18 CDs: 15
> regular and 3 for the update.

Downloading all the CDs would be only feasible if you are never going to be
downloading software from the internet or you only wish you use stable
software (From the CDs.)
But remember that this stable software can also be downloaded. But just in
case you can't download software due to the absence of a Network Connection,
the CDs would suffice.

The Update CDs are usually helpful for updating a machine that already has
Debian installed, but doesn't have a network connection. They provide all the
required security updates to patch the system.

But if your machine has got an Internet connection, the first CD should
suffice. It has got KDE + GNOME and all the required utilities to get your
system up and running. You may download the CD2 just in case.

> I would like to know whether all these CDs have binary files or are
> these also include CDs with
> sources and documentation. If so, which ones of them?

Just Binary Files. Documentation..as in relevant man-pages would be provided.

> How much would it need for a complete install on a P-IV 2.5GHz with 256
> MB RAM?
> And how much for the disk space?

Yeah. That is a fair enough configuration. 256 MB is usually what is
recommended as the minimum amount of RAM for running a Graphical User
Interface (GUI). For e.g. KDE / GNOME.

Free Space...I would keep like 5GB of Free space or generally more than that
for / ..cuz I have a bigger HDD. But 5GB should be more or less sufficient.
It would be difficult to comment on this one unless you provide the details
about your purpose of installing Debian.

> I tried to look up the answers in the online manual, but was unable to
> find them. Any help would
> be appreciated.

I don't know, but this has been discussed quite a lotta times in various fora.
Users often get stunned by the number of CDs and get confused what to
download and what not to.
--
Regards,
Amit.

Remember fellas, what we do in life echoes in eternity!