Re: how many CDs for v3.1 r3?

On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 07:23:11PM +0530, Amit Joshi wrote:

> I don't know, but this has been discussed quite a lotta times in various fora.
> Users often get stunned by the number of CDs and get confused what to
> download and what not to.

Perhaps http://www.debian.org/distrib/ should explicitly say

If you have a decent internet connection, you only need the netinstall
CD or the first regular CD.  The rest will be downloaded as needed
and you won't waste bandwidth downloading packages you won't use.

and the netinstall option should be the *first* on the list.  Definitely
it should be presented before the option of downloading the complete set
of CDs or DVDs.

THen it should go on to explain:

The other CD's are needed only if you are installing on a machine
without a decent net connection, and you can install a very
respectable Debian system using only the first few CDs, which contain
the most popular packages.  The later CDs in the set contain less
popular packages.

That said, a list of which CDs contain which packages would still be
useful.

-- hendrik