Re: module not found: how to configure the loading of modules?

modules are loaded by many ways, last preferred is load drivers for
all installed hardware, used filesystems, protocols etc, and load the rest
when needed.

packages who assure this are hotplug and/or udev (both in sarge, only udev
does this afaik in etch).

The old way is to add required modules' names to /etc/modules, which is
loaded by boot scripts.

reboot does not find the modules. depmod only indexes modules, finds
dependencies and puts them into modules.dep.

BTW: depmod is run at boot, there is (usually) no need to do them both.

> >Mertens Bram wrote:
> >>Not really, it appears to have added a line to the modules.dep file.
> >>But I haven't found much information on the use of this file yet.

do not do that manually, use depmod.

On 12.11.06 18:11, Wackojacko wrote:
> AFAICT, this file tells modprobe which modules depend on which and in
> what order they are loaded. Even if there are no dependencies the module
> has to be listed in this file otherwise modprobe wont know it exists.
>
> man modules.dep doesn't add much though:)

<CITE>
       This  file  is used by modprobe to know the order to load modules (they
       are loaded right to left, and removed left to right).
</CITE>

Yes, that should be at the begin of manpage, not at the end. Filling up a
bugreport should help a bit. Dependencies should be mentioned there too.

A day without sunshine is like, night.