Re: module not found: how to configure the loading of modules?

Mertens Bram wrote:
On 2006-11-11, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Mertens Bram wrote:
Background: My laptop (Acer Aspire 5602WLMi) has an ipw3945 wireless
card.  I have been succesful in compiling the driver needed for this
card and I can connect to my AP.  However I still have to load the
driver from the source directory using './load debug=0' because
modprobe cannot find the module (driver):
# /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install ipw3945 FATAL: Module ipw3945 not found.

I (obviously) get the same error at boot time.

According to the ipw3945 documentation I had to copy the ipw3945.ko
file to /lib/modules/$(uname -r) but that does not appear to be enough
(for Debian?).  The documentation I can find on modules (modprobe,
modutils, etc.) in the Debian reference, the Debian wiki and
google/linux appears to be fragmented, outdated and incomplete.  I am
probably using the wrong keywords but I can't find information on how
the entire "module system" is working in Debian (or Linux in general).

Where can I find an overview of which components are needed and how
they work together?  How should extra modules like this one be
installed?

I have found that module-init-tools replaces modutils since kernel
2.5.48 but I have both on my system:
# dpkg -l "modu*" | grep ii
ii  module-assistant  0.10.6         tool to make module package
creation easier
ii  module-init-tools 3.2.2-3        tools for managing Linux kernel
modules
ii  modutils          2.4.27.0-6     Linux module utilities

I have the following configuration files on my system:
# lh -d /etc/mod*
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 384 2006-10-08 17:45 /etc/modprobe.d/
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 239 2006-07-28 22:11 /etc/modules
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 18K 2006-10-08 17:44 /etc/modules.conf
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 336 2006-10-08 17:44 /etc/modutils/

I am running debian testing with a self-compiled kernel.

So did you try putting ipw3945 in /etc/modules?

It is in there.  ide_cd, ide_disk and ide_generic were also in there
which probably explains the error messages about these modules at boot
time as well since these modules are included in the kernel.

Regards

Bram

Have you tried running 'depmod' command to rescan modules directory.

HTH

Wackojacko