Re: Continuing internet oddities

* H.S. (hs.samix@gmail.com) wrote:

> Okay. I was actually thinking that maybe your modem is set to 'dial on
> demand' and the Windows laptop may be sending some packets
> intermittently to keep the connection up (it does weird things you know,
> not that I know much about all of them). Looks like that is not the
> problem. If your modem is set to stay up permanently, that remove that
> variable as well.

As far as I know the modem stays up continuously.  I cannot swear to
it though.

> That would mean your nameserver is somehow not entertaining your
> computer's request during that period.
>
> BTW, what if you gave your computer a static address. Does that help?

Do you mean a static address from the router, i.e. 192.168.15.100?
That does actually seem constant as I always get that address
everytime I boot.  Or do you mean the address from the modem?  I can't
say I would know how to do either.

I can mention though that so far today I have had no problem.  I am
now wondering if the last upgrade helped, or if perhaps one of the
previous moves has actually done something.  I have switched off my
firewall and that may have helped in someway.  I can't be sure, but I
am still watching and waiting for opportunities to test more things
during a down period.

Thanks for the continuing advice,

Patrick