Re: Continuing internet oddities

cothrige wrote:

> I knocked around a bit in a browser and it appears that 192.168.15.1
> is my Linksys router, and 192.168.1.254 is the DSL modem.  I would

Yup, that makes sense. I was expecting it to be 192.168.15.1 though, in
which case I would expect the router to get the nameservers from the
modem connection. In any case, this doesn't seem to be a problem.

> assume that this is the reason for the different address for the DNS
> server. I can also access the modem by via 'launchmodem', though
> surprisingly not launchmodem.com.  I am also able to ping yahoo.com
> and 4.2.2.2, or I am when I am not in a down period.  I don't know
> about 4.2.2.2, as I have never tried anything like that before, but if
> I try 'ping www.google.com' during one of the blackouts I get nothing
> at all for a minute or so and then it returns a complaint about
> unknown host.

Does the same 'blackout' period occur on your computer when  your wife's
laptop is also connected to the linksys router? Or does it occur only
when your computer is ON.

And during that blackout period, does pinging 4.2.2.2 not work? 4.2.2.2
is, IIRC, a public nameserver by Yahoo. If pinging this works during
that time, then you have a nameserver problem, if it doesn't then you
have a connection or other networking problem.

->HS