Re: Continuing internet oddities

cothrige wrote:
> * H.S. (hs.samix@gmail.com) wrote:
>> Does the same 'blackout' period occur on your computer when  your wife's
>> laptop is also connected to the linksys router? Or does it occur only
>> when your computer is ON.
>
> Initially I noticed this when her computer was not being used or was
> completely shut down.  A few days ago she was online doing some
> surfing when I suffered one of the blackouts, and I took the
> opportunity to ask her about what was going on for her.  She was
> having no trouble at all though and continued to surf and download
> pages even when I was getting no response at all.

Okay. I was actually thinking that maybe your modem is set to 'dial on
demand' and the Windows laptop may be sending some packets
intermittently to keep the connection up (it does weird things you know,
not that I know much about all of them). Looks like that is not the
problem. If your modem is set to stay up permanently, that remove that
variable as well.

>> And during that blackout period, does pinging 4.2.2.2 not work? 4.2.2.2
>> is, IIRC, a public nameserver by Yahoo. If pinging this works during
>> that time, then you have a nameserver problem, if it doesn't then you
>> have a connection or other networking problem.
>
> Okay, the next chance I get I will try this out.  Since I had never
> heard of this I could only try pinging things like google by name, and
> got no result.  I imagine that would be expected if I had nameserver
> difficulty.  If it turns out I can ping 4.2.2.2 how will I then
> address my problem?

That would mean your nameserver is somehow not entertaining your
computer's request during that period.

BTW, what if you gave your computer a static address. Does that help?

->HS