Re: Kernel compile the old way

Ed wrote:
I went to compile a vanilla kernel from kernel.org, and so read the directions at the Debian site. They seem to me to be needlessly complicated. Is there something in Debian which would prevent me from compiling a kernel the good old fashioned way --

make menuconfig
make && make modules_install
cp bzImage and System.map to /boot
edit the grub menu

-- and skip the initrd whatever? And, if so, where does Debian load the modules from, so I can edit that too? It's not /etc/modules - only a few there.

Any advice appreciated.  Thanks.

make menuconfig
make-kpkg --revision 1 kernel_image

Does all of that and you need not do more but:

dpkg -i <the deb file created>
boot with the newly installed kernel