Re: laptop display

On Sun, Oct 29, 2006 at 04:02:04AM -0500, Mark Grieveson wrote:
> Hello.  I just installed Debian Etch on an old laptop (IBM Thinkpad
> 770).  It works okay, but the image is half the screen size.  It's a
> centred box within the larger screen.  How do I make it full size?  I
> tried "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg", thinking that changing the
> resolution might help, but, it did not help.
> I suspect it's something to do with the laptop.  This is the first
> laptop I've ever had.  All suggestions are appreciated.

I used to have an old Thinkpad (until the screen died when the tent I
was camping in got hit by lightening).  If I remember right, its
something in the bios setup __and__ a function of if its in dual-head
mode displaying both to the lid screen __and__ the VGA connector.
There's a function button on the screen to address the latter, try
cycling through that and see if it fixes it.

What happens on a text screen (non X).  If its also small then
reconfiguring xorg won't help.

Doug.