Re: laptop display

Mark Grieveson(dg135@torfree.net) is reported to have said:
> Hello.  I just installed Debian Etch on an old laptop (IBM Thinkpad
> 770).  It works okay, but the image is half the screen size.  It's a
> centred box within the larger screen.  How do I make it full size?  I
> tried "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg", thinking that changing the
> resolution might help, but, it did not help.
> I suspect it's something to do with the laptop.  This is the first
> laptop I've ever had.  All suggestions are appreciated.

I just finished setting up 2 Thinkpad 770's.  It took a lot of
googleing to get a working system running.

You did not mention which kernel you are running, or which boot
loader, and that matters.

kernel-image-2.4.27-speakeasy will not do 1024x768. I downloaded the
source and it does not allow the framebuffer to be configured. Your
stuck with
what you have now with.  The kernel-image-2.6.8 will tho.  I tried
the 2.4.27 source from security but it won't compile. You can set up
the framebuffer but I can't get it to compile using kpkg or the old
fashioned way.

If yoy put vga=0x305 in your grub/lilo setup you can get 1024x768 in
kernel-inage-2.6.8.
ie: in Grub
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8y root=/dev/hda1 vga=793 ro

:-) HTH, YMMV, HAND :-)

Wayne

--
One picture is worth 128K words.