laptop display

Hello. I just installed Debian Etch on an old laptop (IBM Thinkpad 770). It works okay, but the image is half the screen size. It's a centred box within the larger screen. How do I make it full size? I tried "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg", thinking that changing the resolution might help, but, it did not help. I suspect it's something to do with the laptop. This is the first laptop I've ever had. All suggestions are appreciated.

Mark