Re: cd-rom iso image with /etc/apt/sources.list, local repository

On Sun, Oct 29, 2006 at 03:48:57AM -0600, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> Is it possible to configure /etc/apt/sources.list to read a CD-ROM or
> DVD ISO image in place of a physical CD-ROM?  I am thinking in terms of
> mounting the ISO image with the "loop" option of mount, as I do when
> using jigdo-lite to update the image.
>
> Actually, instead of updating a dozen or more CD-ROM images, I switched
> over to DVD images, inasmuch as there are only three.  I do not plan to
> burn DVDs, but this does provide me a local copy of the Debian i386
> "testing" repository with little effort.
>
> I would prefer to switch from DVD images to a Debian i386 "testing"
> repository within the LAN.  Can a local repository be updated as easily
> as CD-ROM and DVD images can be updated with jidgo-lite?  Is there a
> simple HOWTO for a single-architecture, single-distribution local
> repository?

Re: mounting iso images:  read the apt-howto and look for setting up a
mounted source so that it doesn't tell you what cd to insert and press
enter.

I think a better way is to use an actual apt-proxy, approx,
apt-cacher, or apt-mirror system.
This saves you from updating the whole DVD iso files unless you want to
create a complete local mirror, which apt-mirror will do for you.