Re: Petition about the Firefox trademark problem

Carl Fink wrote:
On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 11:53:36AM +0200, Zbigniew Wiech wrote:

I still don't understand the sense of introducing new "free" logo.

Because Mozilla won't let Debian distribute their logo.
Tell me why should I use Firefox with free logo ("IceWeasel") instead of copyrighted "Firefox" until the source and binary is freely available and licensed for purposes I need ?

It's easier to install on Debian.  That's all.
There is also another point...
using debian stable has the advantage that you can have a system that does not change in features or UI and still you get security updates for some time (if i remember correctly the support for woody was just dropped this summer...)
that can be both and advantage and a disadvantage...
if you have users that want all the newes features the moment they are released upstream you will have a problem...
on the other hand...
if you have users that don't want a changed ui every 2 months...
use stable...just do a dist-upgrade when a update is released and the user will not expireince any changes in the interaction with the problem...

and exactly there is the problem...
mozilla wants to see and aprove any patches made to the source code, if you want to use the offical logo or name, which is not acceptable for debian(and good so because for a security patch the delay could be a problem)

but, as the spirit of free software is that you can do with it (nearly) all you want, just install a official firefox, i'm shure somebody will package it or write a packaging tool like for the jdk's

your
albert