Re: Petition about the Firefox trademark problem

* Carl Fink <carl@finknetwork.com> [2006 Oct 26 06:59 -0500]:
> On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 11:53:36AM +0200, Zbigniew Wiech wrote:
>
> > I still don't understand the sense of introducing new "free" logo.
>
> Because Mozilla won't let Debian distribute their logo.

As I understand it, the logo license is not that draconian.  What it
does prevent is modification of the Officially branded logo graphics.
The DFSG considers this non-free and thus prevents Firefox (and the
other Mozilla products) from existing in Main with those restrictions.

The flap arose over Debian's use of the Free alternative logos with the
Mozilla Firefox brand name which Mozilla Corporation now says is
unacceptable.  Sometime back a Mozilla Foundation representative gave
permission to Debian to do just that, now they have retractec that
permission.

Welcome to the non-DFSG world.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.