Re: Wine doesn't create desktop icons

José Alburquerque wrote:

Thanks Kevin. I remember when I used wine (in my recently previous redhat days) that wine itself (on installation) created an actual icon on the desktop which could just be clicked and executed (sort of as if the program were running in windows but in fact it really ran in linux). The icon was a desktop file (*.desktop) (for gnome or kde) that contained a line similar to what you wrote above to execute the program (all together with an excellent displaying graphic).

The packages I got for my system then were directly from the wine site. This makes me believe that wine has the capability of creating desktop icons (on installation) regardless of platform.

I'll see what I can find, but in the mean time, I'll do exactly as you say above. Thanks!

Found out that the problem is in the /usr/bin/wineshelllink script (which is called exactly to create desktop icons when wine installs programs).

The script tries to create icons for gnome in $HOME/.gnome-desktop (the old directory where gnome used to put desktop contents) instead of in $HOME/Desktop (the standard directory where gnome2 places desktop icons).

When I changed the script to use "$HOME/Desktop" instead of "$HOME/.gnome-desktop" icons are created by wine just fine on gnome desktop.

I also submitted a bug report (with a patch) so hopefully things will be reflected in the future. Thanks again Kevin.

--
Sincerely
Jose Alburquerque