Re: Wine doesn't create desktop icons

Kevin Mark wrote:

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 09:35:29PM -0400, Jos? Alburquerque wrote:
Would anyone know how I might get wine to create icons on my desktop when I install a new program? I need to install a browser plugin only available for Windows that will enable me to learn a bit of music theory. I'd like to be able to install Firefox for Windows and see the icon on my desktop for easy access. (For those interested, the music theory site is: http://www.dolmetsch.com/theoryintro.htm and in some of its pages, like http://www.dolmetsch.com/musictheory8.htm, it uses a plugin called Sibelius Scorch to allow viewing and listening to musical scores.)

--
Sincerely
Hi Jose,

firefox.exe contains:
#-----------------------
$HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Mozilla\ Firefox/firefox.exe $@
#-----------------------

chmod +x ~/bin/firefox.exe

then I can run 'firefox.exe' to start it, or 'firefox.exe http://www.google.com' to open a web site.
cheers,
Kev
Thanks Kevin. I remember when I used wine (in my recently previous redhat days) that wine itself (on installation) created an actual icon on the desktop which could just be clicked and executed (sort of as if the program were running in windows but in fact it really ran in linux). The icon was a desktop file (*.desktop) (for gnome or kde) that contained a line similar to what you wrote above to execute the program (all together with an excellent displaying graphic).

The packages I got for my system then were directly from the wine site. This makes me believe that wine has the capability of creating desktop icons (on installation) regardless of platform.

I'll see what I can find, but in the mean time, I'll do exactly as you say above. Thanks!

--
Sincerely
Jose Alburquerque