Re: Exim4 and Mutt for beginners?

* Tyler (tyler.smith@mail.mcgill.ca) wrote:
> Hi,

[...]
> Should I wade into the Exim4 docs and try and figure that out, or is
> there a simpler option for someone with minimal experience with such
> matters?

I am brand new to Debian, and wondered about this as well.  But, I was
surprised to see that the initial install set Exim4 up very well, and
i have had to do nothing with it since.  For that reason I have not
replaced it.

Even though I am new to Debian, you may find that the way I did it in
Slackware for the past year or two may be helpful to you.  Slack had
no nifty installer and configuration tools for an MTA and it defaulted
to Sendmail.  I was not up to that I can tell you.  So, I installed
nbsmtp and then just put: 'set sendmail="/usr/local/bin/nbsmtp -d
bellsouth.net -h mail.bellsouth.net -f cothrige@bellsouth.net"' at the
top of my .muttrc file (without the single quotes btw).  Of course,
you may have to change the path for nbsmtp once installed, but as you
can see it is very simple.  There is no configuration beyond this.

Nbsmtp is a tiny app and is perfect as a drop in replacement for
sendmail and such when all you do is send mail to your server.  I
found it very useful, and you may as well.

Good luck,

Patrick