Re: How many DDs are there?

On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 03:41:13AM +0000, s. keeling wrote:
> Tshepang Lekhonkhobe <tshepang@gmail.com>:
> >
> > I always wondered why I would be motivated to leave Debian :-)
>
> Over the years, I've thought of lots of them (here's three):
>
>    - Why did /usr/bin/grep disappear ?  Yes, /bin/grep is still there,
>      but why is /usr/bin/grep not there now?  /usr/bin/zsh is still
>      there alongside /bin/zsh.  Curious.  :-|
>
>    - At times, Debian can look like "OS by committee."  Eeww.

Hi S,
I was thinking about last comment and relized that its what I think is a
strength of Debian. What you say? Let me explain. Debian follows it's
Developers reference, policy manual and FHS. These make all DDs follow
rules that are developed by the 'committee' of all DDs. This leads to
the consistency that is found in all that Debian package. There are
many, many examples of other distro or software makers not following
the FHS and thinking that Debian is wrong or odd for following it and
complain when their software breaks on Debian. Now that is 'Eeww'.
cheers,
Kev