RE: How to change STRATUM

I finally found how to configure.

On the server, this is my ntp.org configuration:

server 127.127.1.0
fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 5
restrict 127.127.1.0

I also have a second one with higher stratum.

After restarting ntpd and waiting some minutes i get this when doing a
ntptrace:

localhost.localdomain: stratum 6, offset 0.000000, synch distance
0.011279

So, basically ntp uses its local clock and then puts a stratum 6 on it.
My local clock is sync'ed with a windows2003 server like this:

Net time -S x.x.x.x set  , and put in crontab.

My 2003 server is sync'ed with the daytime protocol to a internet time
server.

I need a good stratum value because my cisco devices (switches etc) will
not sync if the stratum is 16.
So this is my cisco configuration:

service timestamps debug datetime localtime
service timestamps log datetime localtime
clock timezone GMT 1
ntp server x.x.x.x               ==> this is no X ofcourse in my real
config! :)
ntp server x.x.x.x prefer
clock summer-time GMT recurring last sunday march 02:00 last sunday
october 03:00 60

Best to put 2 time servers in cisco devices.
And this works for a 100%!
I can see in my cisco device with "show ntp associations"

      address         ref clock     st  when  poll reach  delay  offset
disp
*~x.x.x.x      127.127.1.0       6   373  1024  377     3.1    0.28
0.3
 ~x.x.x.x      127.127.1.0       8  1012  1024  377     2.4  -760.9
103.9
 * master (synced), # master (unsynced), + selected, - candidate, ~
configured

(changed the x ofcourse).

So, it can be done.
Cheers,