Re: problem partially solved

> >From time to time, I have the same problem.  It comes and goes with
> upgrades.  When the problem hits, I just use run alsaconf by hand
> whenever I reboot.  Probably not the answer you want, but so far I've
> found it easier than digging into the arcana of audio.
>
> -- hendrik

I dp exactly the same. Well, i could live with it, but this is
unconfortable... especially for my wife who is a "normal user", and
expect from a computer to be able to do the normal things a computer
should do... like for example playing a CD :-)

By the way, an lighter method than running "alsaconf", is to run

/etc/init.d/alsa reload

nico