Re: problem partially solved

On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 00:32:56 -0700, roy.nico@free.fr wrote:
> > From time to time, I have the same problem.  It comes and goes with
> > upgrades.  When the problem hits, I just use run alsaconf by hand
> > whenever I reboot.  Probably not the answer you want, but so far I've
> > found it easier than digging into the arcana of audio.
> >
> > -- hendrik
>
> I dp exactly the same. Well, i could live with it, but this is
> unconfortable... especially for my wife who is a "normal user", and
> expect from a computer to be able to do the normal things a computer
> should do... like for example playing a CD :-)
>
> By the way, an lighter method than running "alsaconf", is to run
>
> /etc/init.d/alsa reload

I started to have somewhat similar problems with sound on my laptop when
I switched to kernel 2.6.17. After playing around unsuccessfully with
/etc/modules and /etc/modprobe.d I finally decided to try building all
my sound modules into my intird. The problem went away after that. I
have no idea if this is a general solution or just a quirk of my
particular configuration. (Intel 82801DB AC'97 integrated audio
controller)

(If you run a stock kernel then the initrd can get changed when you
 upgrade certain other packages, so that would at least explain how the
 problem can come and go from time to time.)

--
Regards,
          Florian