Re: nvidia-xconfig and xserver-xorg-video-nv

On Mon October 16 2006 20:06, Carl Fink wrote:
> I just set up Debian on my HP laptop, as mentioned in two previous threads.
> With the help of kernel package developer Frans Pop (thank you!), I was
> able to get past the previously-reported problem and boot into Linux.
>
> I have xorg running, but with the vesa driver.  There is a native driver
> for the Nvidia Geforce Go 6150, and it's apparently in the second package
> in my subject line, which is installed.  But when I run nvidia-config it
> creates a xorg.conf that includes the line:
>
> 	Device	"nvidia".
>
> And with that line in place, neither startx nor xdm can start, both
> complaining that the device "nvidia" does not exist.  The device "nv"
> doesn't exist either, they say, if I try that one.
>
> I did file a bug against nvidia-xconfig, but the two bugs there are five
> months and seven months old and "unclassified" (presumably have never even
> been looked at) so I don't expect much assistance there.
>
> Anyone on the list have any ideas?

I use the nvidia drivers also for my FX 5700LE. There is a pre built module
for it in unstable and it seems to be working great here.

What are you running there, i386/amd64   sarge/testing/unstable?

Aside from the module (you may need to build it yourself depending on your
arch etc) you need nvidia-common and nvidia-glx.