nvidia-xconfig and xserver-xorg-video-nv

I just set up Debian on my HP laptop, as mentioned in two previous threads.
With the help of kernel package developer Frans Pop (thank you!), I was able
to get past the previously-reported problem and boot into Linux.

I have xorg running, but with the vesa driver.  There is a native driver for
the Nvidia Geforce Go 6150, and it's apparently in the second package in my
subject line, which is installed.  But when I run nvidia-config it creates a
xorg.conf that includes the line:

	Device	"nvidia".

And with that line in place, neither startx nor xdm can start, both
complaining that the device "nvidia" does not exist.  The device "nv"
doesn't exist either, they say, if I try that one.

I did file a bug against nvidia-xconfig, but the two bugs there are five
months and seven months old and "unclassified" (presumably have never even
been looked at) so I don't expect much assistance there.

Anyone on the list have any ideas?
--
Carl Fink                                   nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Read my blog at nitpickingblog.blogspot.com.  Reviews!  Observations!