Re: Recent spam increase

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 03:19:23 GMT, s keeling <keeling@spots.ab.ca> said:

> However, I'm past the curve.  *I* have no trouble getting procmail
> to do what I want it to do.  Whether the price is worth the effort
> for others is another question.  If I was starting over, I'd
> probably go with the alternatives.

        Can you use procmail to set up a patch server? Like, if you
 have CVS, allow people to request patches against, say, last month's
 version of the archive?  mailagent can do that.

        Can you use procmail to send a vacation mail only to certain
 respondents (like, no mailing lists), but only one response per
 day/week/month if you are not reading mail (a la vacation)? mailagent
 can do that.

        Frankly, being limited to merely regexps would drive me batty
 too. I much prefer the power of lex like rules, being able to
 create a state machine for processing rather than the if it maches,
 do blah style of things that procmail restricts you to.

        mailagent can also act like a command processor, though I
 rarely use that nowadays. I also like the ability to pass full mail
 body/header through a Perl program, and then restart processing from
 scratch, which allows for extreme flexibility wqhen combined with the
 ability to bounce/resend mail.

        Just the templating/macro capabilities of mailagent would have
 weaned me away from procmail.

        Also, one can add command to mailagent by writing plugins,
 macros (including user defined macros), and have basic mailagent
 procedures available in the plugins and scripts.

        Indeed, mailagent can server as a general purpose mail
 processor, (the send patches server was just one instance).  Never
 seen procmail do that.

        manoj
--
"An entire fraternity of strapping Wall-Street-bound youth.  Hell -
this is going to be a blood bath!" -- Post Bros. Comics