Re: Recent spam increase

Vincent Lefevre <vincent@vinc17.org>:
>  On 2006-10-13 14:35:14 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> > I've been having a serious problem with someone spoofing my e-mail
> > address. Various places in several countries (Russia, Korea, Belize,
> > Greece) are spoofing my e-mail address. I get tens of bounces from
>
>  You can use procmail (or any simple mail filter) to filter them out.
>  Very easy and reliable with a message-id format comparison (since a
>  real bounce should include one of *your* message-ids).

I agree procmail can do it (I do it with procmail).  I question the
"Very easy" bit.  procmail is not easy to control.  If you've the time
to learn its quirks, it's great.  However, it's somewhat like a C
programmer trying to wrap his head around C++ (OOP/OOD).  It takes a
lot of "I WANT to do this!" to get it.  Months of it.  Perhaps years.

Easier might be mailfilter.  I've never used it, but it's purported to
be the English language equivalent to procmail's "modem line noise"
syntax, and as powerful.

If the OP wants power and is willing to pay the price, procmail!  If
not, there's other ways.

(*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling          Linux Counter #80292
       Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/emails.html