Re: Recent spam increase

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@ieee.org>:
>  On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 05:41:36 GMT, s keeling <keeling@spots.ab.ca> said:
>
> > I agree procmail can do it (I do it with procmail).  I question the
> > "Very easy" bit.  procmail is not easy to control.  If you've the
> > time to learn its quirks, it's great.  However, it's somewhat like a
> > C programmer trying to wrap his head around C++ (OOP/OOD).  It takes
> > a lot of "I WANT to do this!" to get it.  Months of it.  Perhaps
> > years.
> >
> > Easier might be mailfilter.  I've never used it, but it's purported
> > to be the English language equivalent to procmail's "modem line
> > noise" syntax, and as powerful.
>
> I've always found procmail to be underpowered and have an

You're the first person I've seen to describe procmail as
"underpowered."  I would not list that as one of its attributes.
Perhaps it's difficult to figure out how to get it to do $THAT, but
(in my experience) it can do $THAT.

However, I'm past the curve.  *I* have no trouble getting procmail to
do what I want it to do.  Whether the price is worth the effort for
others is another question.  If I was starting over, I'd probably go
with the alternatives.

>   unreasonable learning curve. I prefer using mailagent, which can do
>   far more than procmail, but seems to be easier to set up.

Another alternative, thanks.

(*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling          Linux Counter #80292
       Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/emails.html