Re: System maintenance

cothrige <cothrige@bellsouth.net>:
>  In reading online it seems that the standard practice to apply
>  security patches would be to run 'apt-get update' and then 'apt-get
>  upgrade'.  I am curious if this really is the best way and if so, how
>  often should it be done?

   i. Install apt-listbugs

  ii. Subscribe to the debian-security mailing list for your distro.

 iii. Ensure your /etc/apt/sources.list is correct for your version of
      Debian, then:

 iii. "apt-get update && aptitude update && aptitude upgrade"

  iv. Review the "apt-listbugs" info carefully keeping a close lookout
      for "<done>".

>  announcing available updates.  How reliable is this tool, and can it
>  be used from outside of Gnome?

Unknown.  The generic Debian reports are all I want or need.

(*)    http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling          Linux Counter #80292
       Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/emails.html