Re: nvidia-xconfig and xserver-xorg-video-nv

On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 23:06:11 -0400, Carl Fink wrote:
> I just set up Debian on my HP laptop, as mentioned in two previous threads.
> With the help of kernel package developer Frans Pop (thank you!), I was able
> to get past the previously-reported problem and boot into Linux.
>
> I have xorg running, but with the vesa driver.  There is a native driver for
> the Nvidia Geforce Go 6150, and it's apparently in the second package in my
> subject line, which is installed.  But when I run nvidia-config it creates a
> xorg.conf that includes the line:
>
> 	Device	"nvidia".
>
> And with that line in place, neither startx nor xdm can start, both
> complaining that the device "nvidia" does not exist.  The device "nv"
> doesn't exist either, they say, if I try that one.

The source of the problem might be confusion between the "Driver" entry
in the "Device" section and the "Device" entry in the "Screen" section.
(Unless the above excerpt from the config file has a typo and you meant
to write 'Driver "nvidia"'.) Can you post your XF86Config-4 or
xorg.conf? I think it is best if we first try to your "nv" driver
working and then adapt the config file for the "nvidia" one.

--
Regards,
          Florian