Re: off-site backup

On Tuesday 17 October 2006 04:53, Russell L. Harris wrote:
[...]
> Most flash devices come from the factory with the VFAT file system.  I
> have been reformatting them, then making an "ext2" file system.  This
> scheme has been working for me, but I would like to receive comments and
> recommendations.

[...]

On that point, I've found that if you use VFAT, some filenames (for example
email messages, which in linux have names like 10985~1Z.4R0:2,S) can't be
written, so files can fail to transfer. On the other hand I have had trouble
getting Windows machines to recognise ext* flash drives, so I usually have
one of each handy if I want to copy files to and from other people's
computers.

Regards,

John