Re: Trouble with cron

* michael (linux@networkingnewsletter.org.uk) wrote:
[snip...]

> > Okay, I think I figured it out.  In typing this email I was going to
> > yank in the output of crontab -l as it is odd.
>
> hang on, I thought you said it had *nothing* before....

Yes, that was my mistake as it looked like nothing.  It was just a
mangled prompt, but that was because it was printing a very short line
from crontab -l without the newline, and then another prompt.  For
some reason I still don't understand, overtop of this on the same line
it would print  yet another prompt, giving something like this:

cothrige (celephais:~) $ crontab -l
cothrige (celephais:~) $ cothrige (celephais:~) $

Though apparently there is an output to crontab -l in that, it is
completely covered by the first prompt, and that is because it is so
short.  When I used a longer command it then showed partly and that
tipped me off that it was in fact finding a command, but due to the
missing newline it was mangling the output, and apparently not able to
execute the command.  Now it seems to be working fine.

Thanks again for the help.

Patrick