Trouble with cron

I am a Debian newb, coming from Slackware, and am trying to set up a
cronjob as a user.  In other systems all I did was crontab -e and then
added the job.  After if I ran crontab -l it was listed right there
ready to go.  However, this is not working in Debian.  Cron is
installed and running, but when I enter the command and save it
crontab -l lists nothing at all, and nothing runs.  Is there some step
I am overlooking?  I have never had to do otherwise before, and have
tried reading online for Debian specific tips, but so far everything
comes back the same as I would expect.  But, still, no cronjob.

Patrick