Re: Trouble with cron

cothrige wrote:
* Johannes Wiedersich (johannes@physik.blm.tu-muenchen.de) wrote:
Which editor are you using? Please do a
ll /etc/alternatives/editor
Oddly it says nano as well, but my EDITOR and VISUAL variables are
both set to emacs, which is that which I use generally.  And that is
what was invoked with crontab -e both times, and not nano.  BTW, I
found that just as with Slackware, the EDITOR variable does not seem
to change the crontab editor, but VISUAL does.  I found it out as in
trying to intentionally use vi instead I had to change VISUAL to make
it come up.  Nothing online seemed to indicate this is so but the
Debian helps and such all mention EDITOR.  Have you had this
experience?

As said by michael in another reply, the alternatives are overriden by EDITOR or VISUAL.

This a cool feature, but what about the nano thing above.  I don't get
nano for anything, and didn't even know it was installed.  Is the
above configuration really even doing anything?  How can I find out?

nano is just another editor - not as powerful as emacs, but sufficient for me editing my crontab etc.

I would be interested in knowing how you set that kind of thing up.
Can you direct me to a website with some info?

Just install different packages, the corresponding entries should 'automagically' appear, when you run the corresponding update-alternatives. See 'man update-alternatives'.

There is also a short summary on
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-package.en.html#s-alternatives
which is always good to have.

You could install debian's reference to