Re: Postfix configuration (mail to root)

On Sat, Sep 30, 2006 at 22:55:35 +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
[..]
>Ok, but it works for me. If I send mail to root (without @localhost),
>then my user receives it (according /etc/aliases). If I send mail to a
>real internet address then postfix takes care of the proper rewriting
>so that my smarthost doesn't deny it.

Hmmm, I believe I've figured it out.

I set /etc/mailname to contain a domain name that it's possible to send
email from.  In that way every user on the sysmte could send email, but
local delivery was not possible without explicitly addressing to a
destination that occured in postfix's $mydestination.  This is due to
the automatic addition of @$myorigin (which I now know can be controlled
in postfix's configuration, but I'm not sure what impact changing the
default will have).

You instead left localhost.localdomain in /etc/mailname.  This means
that addressing to 'root' (without @<domain>) is possible.  However, it
forces you to rewrite addresses for each user on the way out
(/etc/postfix/generic).

I've switched to your setup since it means things work better and I
don't regularly add mail-sending users to my system anyway.

Thanks for helping me understand this. :-)

/M

magnus@therning.org             Jabber: magnus.therning@gmail.com
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again
and expecting different results.
     -- Albert Einstein