Re: Postfix configuration (mail to root)

Magnus Therning <magnus@therning.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 30, 2006 at 20:25:51 +0100, Magnus Therning wrote:
> >On Sat, Sep 30, 2006 at 20:36:34 +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> >[..]
> >>You can do this with rewriting. I just set this up today so its fresh
> >>:)
> >>
> >>/etc/postfix/main.cf:
> >>
> >>	smtp_generic_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/generic
> >>
> >>then create /etc/postfix/generic with something like this:
> >>
> >>	user@my.local.host	account@my.remote.host
> >>
> >>and run 'postmap /etc/postfix/generic
> >>
> >>Now if the mail is for root@my.local.host it will be delivered
> >>according to your aliases file. Mail for user@some.internet.host will
> >>be sent to respective address with rewriten From:
> >
> >I can't seem to make it do what I want it to, which would be the exact
> >opposite of what you're doing.  My problem was that
> >
> > % /usr/lib/sendmail root << EOF
> > Subject: test
> >
> > Test
> > EOF
> >
> >Would result in a mail being sent to root@my.remote.host.  What I wanted
> >was a locally delivered email (according to the /etc/aliases file).
>
> Just to clarify why this is a bit of a problem to me.  cron keeps on
> sending email to root (not root@localhost or root@my.local.host).  I'd
> rather have the output from my crontabs delivered locally.

Ok, but it works for me. If I send mail to root (without @localhost),
then my user receives it (according /etc/aliases). If I send mail to a
real internet address then postfix takes care of the proper rewriting so
that my smarthost doesn't deny it.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)