Re: Postfix configuration (mail to root)

On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 15:23:25 +0100, Magnus Therning wrote:
>I'm having problems with sending emails to root on my machines at work.
>My mail setup is a little strange, I suppose, but not too weird, I think
>:-)
>
>I defer all sending of email.  Postfix uses a relayhost of
>localhost:2300 and my user has a cronjob that sets up an ssh tunnel to a
>remote host, my.remote.host, that I use to actually send the email.
>(This setup is to avoid the exchange mail server that is used at the
>office.  I've had A LOT of problems with it and its administrators.)
>The current setup works fine for sending to external addresses, but not
>for sending to local ones, e.g. to root.
>
> % /usr/lib/sendmail root << EOF
> Subject: hello
>
> hello
> EOF
> % mailq
> 2B62F4B9DD      335 Fri Sep 29 15:07:41  magnus@my.remote.host
>                                                    (deferred transport)
>                                          root@my.remote.host
>
>This is how I've configured it:
>
> % cat /etc/mailname
> my.remote.host
> % egrep '^root' /etc/aliases
> root: magnus
> % hostname -f
> my.local.host
>
>My /etc/postfix/main.cf contains the following:
>
> myhostname = my.local.host
> myorigin = /etc/mailname
> mydestination = my.local.host, localhost
>
>How do I configure this so that emails for root are sent to
>magnus@my.local.host rather than root@my.remote.host?
>And, why are mails sent by the user magnus recorded as sent from
>magnus@my.remote.host?

Oops, just realised that the magnus@my.remote.host is what's stuck in
the From header (different from the From: header) and that this is what
I desire.  Since a lot of servers on the internet does a lookup on the
domain part I need my.remote.host there... so, just disregard the second
question.

/M

magnus@therning.org             Jabber: magnus.therning@gmail.com
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

"He dropped his voice still lower. In the stillness, a fly would not
have dared clear its throat."