Re: Postfix configuration (mail to root)

On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 20:07:18 +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
>Magnus Therning <magnus@therning.org> wrote:
>
>> >This is how I've configured it:
>> >
>> > % cat /etc/mailname
>> > my.remote.host
>
>> > % hostname -f
>> > my.local.host
>
>Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that /etc/mailname should also be
>'my.local.host'

But then I can't send emails because a lot of servers out there do a
lookup on the server name in the envelope header and my.local.host is on
a private LAN and can't be looked up.

Basically, the setup I want is:

 root and other local accounts are delivered locally
 non-local accounts are forwarded to the relayhost

To have the latter work I need to make sure that the envelope header
contains an address with a domain that can be looked up on the internet.
That's what I get by sticking my.remote.host in /etc/mailname.  However,
that seems to screw up local delivery :-(

I can't see that this is a very unique situation, AFAICS that is exactly
what Internet With Smart Host is when I run 'dpkg-reconfigure postfix'.

/M

magnus@therning.org             Jabber: magnus.therning@gmail.com
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others we should
be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of
ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
     -- Benjamin Franklin