Re: Odd Thing ? usb drive

Michael M. wrote:

> Roby wrote:
>> Richard wrote:
>>

>>> hmm, I've been think about this usb drive, about wiping the filing
>>> system, and going with ext3 for that extra security.
>>>
>>> Q. since this is a usb drive, and if I do reformat it with ext3 filing
>>> system, will it automatically mount when unplugging and plugging back
>>> in, as it did before ?
>>>
>>> Or is there some major tweaks that have to be done,
>>> please explain.
>>>
>>> Rich
>>>

>> Just a minor tweak: editing /etc/fstab's entry for the usb drive to show
>> ext3 instead of vfat and possibly changes in options to be applied; i.e.,
>> remove umask= if used.
>>
>> I don't see any reason that mounting would change ... although I'm no
>> wizard.  You still need to be certain it's unmounted before unplugging.
>>
>> I'm glad to be done with vfat here 'cuz defragging under win2k took
>> forever ... and sometimes crashed midstream.  Wow, just what I wanted:
>> o/s screwup while it fiddles with my backup drive!
>>
>> Roby
>>

> If you take the lazy way out like me and use pmount, you don't even have
> to bother changing any fstab entries.  I recently reformatted my
> external USB hard drive and changed the filesystem from fat32 to ext3.
> It works just like it did before.  (This is on Etch.)

pmount is a wrapper around the standard mount program which permits normal
users to mount removable devices without a matching /etc/fstab entry. This
provides a robust basis for automounting frameworks like GNOME's Utopia
project and confines the amount of code that runs as root to a minimum. .
This package also contains a wrapper "pmount-hal" which reads some
information like device labels and mount options from hal and passes them
to pmount. Install the package "hal" if you want to use this feature. . If
a LUKS capable cryptsetup package is installed, pmount is able to
transparently mount encrypted volumes.

... Thanks!!