Odd Thing ? usb drive

here something, odd my usb (backup) drive, was acting alittle odd,
when trying to delete a folder off it, then copying a folder from the usb
drive to main desktop drive stalled several time.

Is there a Liinux command to check to see if the usb (fat32) drive
is having a problem, or maybe corruption or sorts?

What command string would I used, to run a full test ( non destructed)
to see what's going on with it.

--
AND if there is a problem, I will copy a few more files over, then re-format
the disk -- WHICH format structure should I used, UFS or Ext3 ? or should I

Or maybe I should ask ( which) is the lest prone to corruption, and
problems...

Thanks -

Rich
Newbie - Novice