Re: Odd Thing ? usb drive

Richard wrote:

> here something, odd my usb (backup) drive, was acting alittle odd,
> when trying to delete a folder off it, then copying a folder from the usb
> drive to main desktop drive stalled several time.
>
> Is there a Liinux command to check to see if the usb (fat32) drive
> is having a problem, or maybe corruption or sorts?
>
> What command string would I used, to run a full test ( non destructed)
> to see what's going on with it.
>
> --
> AND if there is a problem, I will copy a few more files over, then
> re-format the disk -- WHICH format structure should I used, UFS or Ext3 ?
> or should I go back to fat 32
>
> Or maybe I should ask ( which) is the lest prone to corruption, and
> problems...
>
> Thanks -
>

> Rich
> Newbie - Novice

I had a similar experience with my usb drive just last week.  Scary to have
a backup drive get hostile.  This experience moved me to finally do things
I had planned but put off.  I bought a usb drive enclosure and put together
a second backup drive.  From now on, I will do every other backup to the
second drive so that all is not lost if (when) one fails.  I'm still
dragging my heels about doing occasional backups to dvd for off-site.

I decided to dump fat32 in favor of a journalling filesystem for a little
extra safety and chose reiserfs only because that's what my machines use.
Time will tell if these were wise decisions!

Roby