Re: 2.6.16-2-686 not booting: Waiting for root filesystem

Wackojacko schrieb am Sonntag, 17. September 2006 10:48:
>> The problem has been solved. My friend uses a Samsung MP0804H (?)
>> harddisc, whose device file had change from hda to sda with 2.6. :-)
>
> AFAIK, this is just due to the difference between how 2.4 and 2.6
> kernels deal with SATA drives.  2.4 used ide/scsi emulation so the
> appeared as IDE drives, i.e. 'h'da etc.  2.6 has native SATA support and
> thus the drives are 's'da etc.
>
> So in answer to your question, this will happen on all SATA drives.

I already knew that, but according to the manufacturer's specification, it's
not an S-ATA drive, but an UDMA-100 drive. That's why I firstly didn't take
that into account.

Is this possible at all? Or does it mean that either the model number or the
specification is wrong?

Peter