Re: 2.6.16-2-686 not booting: Waiting for root filesystem

Peter Thomassen wrote:
Wackojacko schrieb am Sonntag, 17. September 2006 10:48:
The problem has been solved. My friend uses a Samsung MP0804H (?)
harddisc, whose device file had change from hda to sda with 2.6. :-)
AFAIK, this is just due to the difference between how 2.4 and 2.6
kernels deal with SATA drives.  2.4 used ide/scsi emulation so the
appeared as IDE drives, i.e. 'h'da etc.  2.6 has native SATA support and
thus the drives are 's'da etc.

So in answer to your question, this will happen on all SATA drives.

I already knew that, but according to the manufacturer's specification, it's
not an S-ATA drive, but an UDMA-100 drive. That's why I firstly didn't take
that into account.

Ok sorry :)

Is this possible at all? Or does it mean that either the model number or the
specification is wrong?

Peter

I must admit it does appear strange. They are not using a IDE/SATA converter are they?

Wackojacko