Re: Two seat pc [was Re: install nvidia for latest debian kernel]

Arthur Marsh wrote:
Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote, On 17/09/06 05:33:
Derek wrote:
I use the nvidia installer,never had a broken system,dunno where you got those instructions from.Just download the nvidia installer,run it and you should be good to go(assuming you have all the stuff needed to compile the kernel module).

I agree. I currently use NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8762-pkg1.run on a sid two-seater (2 videocards, monitors, keybds, mice) and it is solid as a rock. Has never failed. Am suspending with it currently. This is with kernel 2.6.17-ck1 + suspend2-2.2.7.5-for-2.6.17

How much tweaking away from a standard Debian kernel and OS did you need to do to support 2 video cards, monitors, keyboards and mice? Is there a specific guide on how to do this on Debian?

The furthest I have done in that direction was adding a second mouse (which worked (-:).

Arthur.

Arthur, you touched a favorite topic! Running Sid you have to do nothing special! I never have run a Debian kernel, but since there are no kernel hits, pick any. Everything gets set in xorg.conf + gdm:
1. There you indicate that there are 2 xservers
2. There you indicate that there are 2 mice + kbds.

That's all! Sid, because you have to run xorg. Also the best results are with Nvidia cards, because the Nvidia driver is the best: I run
8762 as stated.

I attach xorg + gdm.conf, that should work...

Running Sarge you need a keyboard grabber that you run as a module, from here:
http://www.ltn.lv/~aivils/?proj_id=faketty
Running Etch, what applied to Sid, applies to Etch.

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     	"X0"
	Screen      0  	"Screen X0" 0 0
	InputDevice    	"Mouse0" "CorePointer"
	InputDevice    	"Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
#	Option 		"SingleCard" "true"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     	"X1"
	Screen      0  	"Screen X1" 0 0
	InputDevice    	"Mouse1" "CorePointer"
	InputDevice    	"Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
#	Option 		"SingleCard" "true"
#	Option 		"BlankTime"  "3600"
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
	Option 		"Composite" 	"Enable"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier  	"Xinerama"
	Screen 		"Screen x0"
	Screen 		"Screen x1" Rightof "Screen x0"
	InputDevice    	"Mouse0" "CorePointer"
	InputDevice    	"Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Files"
	ModulePath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/"
	ModulePath	"/usr/lib/xorg/modules/"
	FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
#	xfs-xtt
# 	FontPath     "unix/:7100"
	FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
	FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
	FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/"
	FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
	FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
	FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType/"
EndSection

Section "Module"
	Load  "dbe"
#	Load  "dri"
	Load  "extmod"
	Load  "glx"
	Load  "pex5"
	Load  "record"
	Load  "xie"
	Load  "type1"
#--------------------------------------
	Load    "freetype"
#	Load	"type1"
	Load    "xft"
#	Load	"extmod"
#	Load    "xie"
#	Load	"pex5"
#	Load    "glx"
#	Load	"dri"
#	Load    "GLcore"
#	Load	"dbe"
#---------------------------------------
EndSection

#Section "InputDevice"
#	Identifier  	"Keyboard0"
#	Driver      	"kbd"
#	Option		"XkbModel"	  "pc105"
#	Option		"XkbLayout"	  "us_intl"
#	Option		"XkbOptions"	  "alt-intl"
#EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier       "Keyboard0"
        Driver           "evdev"
#       Option           "Device"         "/dev/input/event0"
        Option           "Phys"           "isa0060/serio1/input0"
        Option           "XkbLayout"      "us_intl"
EndSection

#Section "InputDevice"
#	Identifier  	"Keyboard1"
#	Driver      	"kbd"
#	Option		"XkbModel"	  "pc105"
#	Option		"XkbLayout"	  "us_intl"
#EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier       "Keyboard1"
        Driver           "evdev"
#       Option           "Device"         "/dev/input/event1"
        Option           "Phys"           "isa0060/serio0/input0"
        Option           "XkbLayout"      "us_intl"
EndSection

#http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/wiwimod/index.php?page=HOWTO+Mouse+Buttons
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  	"Mouse0"
        Driver      	"evdev"
        Option      	"Device" "/dev/input/event3" # (cat /proc/bus/input/devices)
        Option      	"Name" "A4Tech USB Optical Mouse"
	Option      	"ZAxisMapping"  	"6 7 4 5"
#       Option          "Emulate3Buttons"       "true"
 	Option      	"Buttons"       	"12"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  	"Mouse1"
        Driver      	"evdev"
        Option      	"Device" "/dev/input/event4" # (cat /proc/bus/input/devices)
        Option      	"Name" "A4Tech USB Optical Mouse"
	Option      	"ZAxisMapping"  	"6 7 4 5"
 	Option      	"Buttons"       	"12"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Monitor0"
	VendorName   "SAM"
	ModelName    "1057"
	Option 	     "DPMS"
	HorizSync    30.0 - 70.0
	VertRefresh  50.0 - 160.0
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Monitor1"
	VendorName   "SAM"
	ModelName    "1057"
	Option 	     "DPMS"
	HorizSync    30.0 - 70.0
	VertRefresh  50.0 - 160.0
EndSection

Section "Device"
	### Available Driver options are:-
        ### [arg]: arg optional
        #Option     "SWcursor"           	# [<bool>]
        #Option     "HWcursor"           	# [<bool>]
        #Option     "NoAccel"            	# [<bool>]
        #Option     "ShowCache"          	# [<bool>]
        #Option     "ShadowFB"           	# [<bool>] HVW
        #Option     "UseFBDev"           	# [<bool>]
        #Option     "Rotate" "CW"             	# [<str>] HVW
        #Option     "VideoKey"           	# <i>
        #Option     "FlatPanel"          	# [<bool>]

	Option 	    "AllowGLXWithComposite" 	"On"
	Option 	    "RenderAccel" 		"True"

	Option	    "NvAGP"			"0"
	Identifier  "nvidia0"
	Driver      "nvidia"
#	Driver      "nv"
	VendorName  "NVidia"
#	BoardName   "RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro"
	BoardName   "GeForce4 MX 4000 AGP 8x"
	BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	### Available Driver options are:-
        ### [arg]: arg optional
        #Option     "SWcursor"           	# [<bool>]
        #Option     "HWcursor"           	# [<bool>]
        #Option     "NoAccel"            	# [<bool>]
        #Option     "ShowCache"          	# [<bool>]
        #Option     "ShadowFB"           	# [<bool>] HVW
        #Option     "UseFBDev"           	# [<bool>]
        #Option     "Rotate" "CW"             	# [<str>] HVW
        #Option     "VideoKey"           	# <i>
        #Option     "FlatPanel"          	# [<bool>]

       Option      "AllowGLXWithComposite"     "On"
       Option      "RenderAccel"               "True"

	Option	    "NvAGP"			"0"
	Identifier  "nvidia1"
	Driver      "nvidia"
#	Driver      "nv"
	VendorName  "NVidia"
	BoardName   "GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x"
	BusID       "PCI:0:10:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen X0"
	Device     "nvidia0"
	Monitor    "Monitor0"
#	DefaultColorDepth 16			#Added... Colors looked off...
	DefaultColorDepth 24
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth     1
		Modes		"1280x1024"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth     4
		Modes		"1280x1024"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth     8
		Modes		"1280x1024"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth     15
		Modes		"1280x1024"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth     16
		Modes		"1280x1024"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth     24
		Modes		"1280x1024"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen X1"
	Device     "nvidia1"
	Monitor    "Monitor1"
[...]
#		Modes		"1680x1050"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

# GDM Configuration file.  You can use gdmsetup program to graphically
# edit this, or you can optionally just edit this file by hand.  Note that
# gdmsetup does not tweak every option here, just the ones most users
# would care about.  Rest is for special setups and distro specific
# tweaks.  If you edit this file, you should send the HUP or USR1 signal to
# the daemon so that it restarts: (Assuming you have not changed PidFile)
#   kill -USR1 `cat /var/run/gdm.pid`
# (HUP will make gdm restart immediately while USR1 will make gdm not kill
# existing sessions and will only restart gdm after all users log out)
#
# You can also use the gdm-restart and gdm-safe-restart scripts which just
# do the above for you.
#
# Have fun! - George

[daemon]
# Automatic login, if true the first local screen will automatically logged
# in as user as set with AutomaticLogin key.
AutomaticLoginEnable=false
#AutomaticLoginEnable=true
AutomaticLogin=hugo
# Timed login, useful for kiosks.  Log in a certain user after a certain
# amount of time
TimedLoginEnable=false
TimedLogin=
TimedLoginDelay=30
# A comma separated list of users that will be logged in without having
# to authenticate on local screens (not over xdmcp).  Note that 'root'
# is ignored and will always have to authenticate.
LocalNoPasswordUsers=
#AlwaysRestartServer=true
AlwaysRestartServer=false
Configurator=/usr/bin/gdmsetup --disable-sound --disable-crash-dialog
GnomeDefaultSession=/usr/share/gnome/default.session
Chooser=/usr/bin/gdmchooser

# Default path to set.  The profile scripts will likely override this
DefaultPath=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games
# Default path for root.  The profile scripts will likely override this
RootPath=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/games

DisplayInitDir=/etc/gdm/Init
# Greeter for local (non-xdmcp) logins.  Change gdmlogin to gdmgreeter to
# get the new graphical greeter.
Greeter=/usr/lib/gdm/gdmgreeter
# Greeter for xdmcp logins, usually you want a less graphically intensive
# greeter here so it's better to leave this with gdmlogin
RemoteGreeter=/usr/bin/gdmlogin
User=gdm
Group=gdm
# To try to kill all clients started at greeter time or in the Init script.
# doesn't always work, only if those clients have a window of their own
KillInitClients=true
LogDir=/var/log/gdm
# You should probably never change this value unless you have a weird setup
PidFile=/var/run/gdm.pid
PostSessionScriptDir=/etc/gdm/PostSession/
PreSessionScriptDir=/etc/gdm/PreSession/
# Distributions:  If you have some script that runs an X server in say
# VGA mode, allowing a login, could you please send it to me?
FailsafeXServer=
# if X keeps crashing on us we run this script.  The default one does a bunch
# of cool stuff to figure out what to tell the user and such and can
# run an X configuration program.
XKeepsCrashing=/etc/gdm/XKeepsCrashing
# Reboot, Halt and suspend commands, you can add different commands
# separated by a semicolon and gdm will use the first one it can find
RebootCommand=/sbin/shutdown -r now \"Rebooted from gdm menu.\"
HaltCommand=/sbin/shutdown -h now \"Halted from gdm menu.\"
SuspendCommand=/usr/bin/apm --suspend
# Probably should not touch the below this is the standard setup
ServAuthDir=/var/lib/gdm
SessionDir=/etc/gdm/Sessions/
# Better leave this blank and HOME will be used.  You can use syntax ~/ below
# to indicate home directory of the user
UserAuthDir=
# Fallback if home directory not writable
UserAuthFBDir=/tmp
UserAuthFile=.Xauthority
# The X server to use if we can't figure out what else to run.
StandardXServer=/usr/X11R6/bin/X
# The maximum number of flexible X servers to run.
FlexibleXServers=5
# the X nest command
Xnest=/usr/X11R6/bin/Xnest -name Xnest
# Automatic VT allocation.  Right now only works on Linux.  This way
# we force X to use specific vts.  turn VTAllocation to false if this
# is causing problems.
FirstVT=7
VTAllocation=true

[security]
AllowRoot=false
AllowRemoteRoot=false
# This will allow remote timed login
AllowRemoteAutoLogin=false
# 0 is the most anal, 1 allows group write permissions, 2 allows all write permissions
RelaxPermissions=0
RetryDelay=3
# Maximum size of a file we wish to read.  This makes it hard for a user to DoS us
# by using a large file.
UserMaxFile=65536
# Maximum size of the session file.  This is larger because it matters less as we
# never keep it all in memory.  Just has an upper limit so that we don't go into too
# long of a loop
SessionMaxFile=524388

# XDMCP is the protocol that allows remote login.  If you want to log into
# gdm remotely (I'd never turn this on on open network, use ssh for such
# remote usage that).  You can then run X with -query <thishost> to log in,
# or -indirect <thishost> to run a chooser.  Look for the 'Terminal' server
# type at the bottom of this config file.
[xdmcp]
Enable=false
# Honour indirect queries, we run a chooser for these, and then redirect
# the user to the chosen host.  Otherwise we just log the user in locally.
HonorIndirect=true
# Maximum pending requests
MaxPending=4
MaxPendingIndirect=4
# Maximum open XDMCP sessions at any point in time
MaxSessions=16
# Maximum wait times
MaxWait=15
MaxWaitIndirect=15
# How many times can a person log in from a single host.  Usually better to
# keep low to fend off DoS attacks by running many logins from a single
# host.  This is now set at 2 since if the server crashes then gdm doesn't
# know for some time and wouldn't allow another session.
DisplaysPerHost=2
# The number of minutes after which a non-responsive session is logged off.
# Better keep this low.  This is the last version where this will be minutes.
# In the current development versions this is replaced with PingIntervalSeconds
# which defaults to 15 which is much nicer.
PingInterval=1
# The port.  177 is the standard port so better keep it that way
Port=177
# Willing script, none is shipped and by default we'll send
# hostname system id.  But if you supply something here, the
# output of this script will be sent as status of this host so that
# the chooser can display it.  You could for example send load,
# or mail details for some user, or some such.
Willing=/etc/gdm/Xwilling

[gui]
# The 'theme'.  By default we're using the default gtk theme
# Of course assuming that gtk got installed in the same prefix,
# if not change this.
GtkRC=/usr/share/themes/Default/gtk/gtkrc
# Maximum size of an icon, larger icons are scaled down
MaxIconWidth=128
MaxIconHeight=128

[greeter]
# Greeter has a nice title bar that the user can move
TitleBar=true
# Configuration is available from the system menu of the greeter
ConfigAvailable=true
# Face browser is enabled.  This only works currently for the
# standard greeter as it is not yet enabled in the graphical greeter.
Browser=false
# The default picture in the browser
DefaultFace=/usr/share/pixmaps/nobody.png
# These are things excluded from the face browser, not from logging in
Exclude=bin,daemon,adm,lp,sync,shutdown,halt,mail,news,uucp,operator,nobody,gdm,postgres,pvm,rpm
# As an alternative to the above this is the minimum uid to show
MinimalUID=100
# If user or user.png exists in this dir it will be used as his picture
GlobalFaceDir=/usr/share/faces/
# Icon we use
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/gdm.png
# File which contains the locale we show to the user.  Likely you want to use
# the one shipped with gdm and edit it.  It is not a standard locale.alias file,
# although gdm will be able to read a standard locale.alias file as well.
LocaleFile=/etc/gdm/locale.conf
# Logo shown in the standard greeter
Logo=/usr/share/pixmaps/gdmDebianLogo.xpm
# The standard greeter should shake if a user entered the wrong username or
# password.  Kind of cool looking
Quiver=true
# The system menu is shown in the greeter
SystemMenu=true
# The system menu requires the root password for all options
SecureSystemMenu=true
DefaultWelcome=false
DefaultRemoteWelcome=false
Welcome=2.6.17-ck1 HDC1 Su 9/17 07:34
# Don't allow user to move the standard greeter window.  Only makes sense
# if TitleBar is on
LockPosition=false
# Set a position rather then just centering the window.  If you enter
# negative values for the position it is taken as an offset from the
# right or bottom edge.
SetPosition=false
PositionX=0
PositionY=0
# Xinerama screen we use to display the greeter on.  Not for true
# multihead, currently only works for Xinerama.
XineramaScreen=0
# Background settings for the standard greeter:
# Type can be 0=None, 1=Image, 2=Color
BackgroundType=0
BackgroundImage=
BackgroundScaleToFit=true
BackgroundColor=#363047
# XDMCP session should only get a color, this is the sanest setting since
# you don't want to take up too much bandwidth
BackgroundRemoteOnlyColor=true
# Program to run to draw the background in the standard greeter.  Perhaps
# something like an xscreensaver hack or some such.
BackgroundProgram=
# if this is true then the background program is run always, otherwise
# it is only run when the BackgroundType is 0 (None)
RunBackgroundProgramAlways=false
# Show the chooser (you can choose a specific saved gnome session) session
ShowGnomeChooserSession=true
# Show the Failsafe sessions.  These are much MUCH nicer (focus for xterm for
# example) and more failsafe then those supplied by scripts so distros should
# use this rather then just running an xterm from a script.
ShowGnomeFailsafeSession=true
ShowXtermFailsafeSession=true
# Always use 24 hour clock no matter what the locale.
Use24Clock=false
# Use circles in the password field.  Looks kind of cool actually
UseCirclesInEntry=false
# These two keys are for the new greeter.  Circles is the standard
# shipped theme
GraphicalTheme=circles
GraphicalThemeDir=/usr/share/gdm/themes/
SoundOnLoginFile=/usr/share/sounds/pop.wav

# The chooser is what's displayed when a user wants an indirect XDMCP
# session
[chooser]
# Default image for hosts
DefaultHostImg=/usr/share/pixmaps/nohost.png
# Directory with host images, they are named by the hosts: host or host.png
HostImageDir=/usr/share/hosts/
# Time we scan for hosts (well only the time we tell the user we are
# scanning actually)
ScanTime=3
# A comma separated lists of hosts to automatically add (if they answer to
# a query of course).  You can use this to reach hosts that broadcast cannot
# reach.
Hosts=
# Broadcast a query to get all hosts on the current network that answer
Broadcast=true

[debug]
# This will enable debugging into the syslog, usually not neccessary
# and it creates a LOT of spew of random stuff to the syslog.  However it
# can be useful in determining when something is going very wrong.
Enable=false

[servers]
# These are the standard servers.  You can add as many you want here
# and they will always be started.  Each line must start with a unique
# number and that will be the display number of that server.  Usually just
# the 0 server is used.
0=Standard
1=2nd
# Note the VTAllocation and FirstVT keys on linux.  Don't add any vt<number>
# arguments if VTAllocation is on, and set FirstVT to be the first vt
# available that your gettys don't grab (gettys are usually dumb and grab
# even a vt that has already been taken).  Using 7 will work pretty much for
# all linux distributions.  VTAllocation is not currently implemented on
# anything but linux since I don't own any non-linux systems.  Feel free to
# send patches.  X servers will just not get any extra arguments then.
#
#Note: If you want to run an X terminal you could add an X server such as this
#0=Terminal -query serverhostname
# or for a chooser (optionally serverhostname could be localhost)
#0=Terminal -indirect serverhostname

# Definition of the standard X server.
[server-Standard]
name=Standard server
#command=/usr/bin/X0 :0 -layout X0 -deferglyphs 16 -isolateDevice \"PCI:1:0:0\" vt7
command=/usr/bin/X1 :0 -layout X1 -dpi 110 -deferglyphs 16 -isolateDevice \"PCI:0:10:0\" vt7
#above command works for kbd=evdev
#command=/usr/bin/X1 :0 -layout X1 -dpi 110 -deferglyphs 16 -isolateDevice \"PCI:0:10:0\" -sharevts
flexible=true
# startx -- :0 vt7 -config xorg.conf -layout X0

# Definition of the second X server.
[server-2nd]
name=2nd server
# dpi works sort of to get the characters bigger while monitor powered off...
#command=/usr/bin/X1 :1 -layout X1 -deferglyphs 16 -isolateDevice \"PCI:0:10:0\" vt51
#command=/usr/bin/X0 :1 -layout X0 -dpi 110 -deferglyphs 16 -isolateDevice \"PCI:1:0:0\" vt51
command=/usr/bin/X0 :1 -layout X0 -dpi 110 -deferglyphs 16 -isolateDevice \"PCI:1:0:0\" -sharevts
flexible=true
# startx -- :1 vt51 -config xorg.conf -layout X1

# To use this server type you should add -query host or -indirect host
# to the command line
#[server-Terminal]
#name=Terminal server
# Add -terminate to make things behave more nicely
#command=/usr/X11R6/bin/X -terminate
# Make this not appear in the flexible servers (we need extra params
# anyway, and terminate would be bad for xdmcp)
#flexible=false
# Not local, we do not handle the logins for this X server
#handled=false