saving digital photographs

I have around 4.5GB of photos from the past few years on my hard disk. I have all of these as albums in digikam. I am thinking of saving these on to a DVD and freeing up the space from my hard disk. I was wondering of anyone has any suggestions on how best to do this. Should I just dump the directories (that correspoond to each album in digikam) on to the DVD? Should I include the .db files as well which are presumably used by digikam? Or is there any other option which I do not know about yet?

My idea is just to dump the directories. But if there is a tool which includes a photo browser as well such that a user can just put the DVD into an optical drive and start browsing the pictures using that tool something - like PicutreCD - that would be great too (though most OSes have a picture browser built in nowadays). The tool may be java based to be cross platform.

Can't be more specifid, just looking for input actually about a better option than dumping the directories straight to the DVD ... i.e. if such an option exists.

->HS