Re: saving digital photographs

> I have around 4.5GB of photos from the past few years on my hard disk. I
> have all of these as albums in digikam. I am thinking of saving these on
> to a DVD and freeing up the space from my hard disk. I was wondering of
> anyone has any suggestions on how best to do this. Should I just dump
> the directories (that correspoond to each album in digikam) on to the
> DVD? Should I include the .db files as well which are presumably used by
> digikam? Or is there any other option which I do not know about yet?

Picasa has a nice feature where it keeps track of which images you've burned
to CD.  digikam doesn't have such a feature, but I filed a bug requesting
it a long time ago, and I hope they add it before 1.0.

However, digikam is able to export images to thumbnailed HTML galleries.
Unfortunately it doesn't support spanning multiple CDs, but since you're
using a DVD, that shouldn't matter.

For my own long-term archiving of digital photos, I bought a box of Mitsui
Gold CD-R's.  These are rated for 100 years in controlled environments.
Whether or not they'll hold up that long...well, I'll let you know in a
hundred years.  :)  I also use Duplicity to backup to a Dreamhost account,
which gets them off-site.  I use SSH's rate limit to keep it from
interfering with normal Internet usage, so it takes a few hours to run new
backups.  If I need to backup several gigs, the backup might take a couple
days, or I could just remove the rate limit temporarily.  Oh, and I use
backupninja's rdiff-backup to backup to a second hard disk.